Bradford councillors urged: ‘Think again on faith transport’

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Bradford councillors urged: ‘Think again on faith transport’ Bradford councillors urged: ‘Think again on faith transport’

The head of a Catholic school trust will urge Bradford Council to make a U-turn on its plans to end free transport to faith schools at a meeting today.

A petition signed by more than 300 people will be presented to the Council by Caroline Hyde, chairman of Bishop Wheeler Catholic Academy Trust, asking for a rethink of the policy, which the trust fears could cost families hundreds of pounds a year.

The Council consulted on the changes earlier this year as part of cost-cutting measures, but the proposals did not impress local faith groups, who claimed it was discriminating against religious families.

Although the budget was approved last month, a final decision on ‘faith transport’ is yet to be made, and as part of the public consultation councillors will receive the petition at today’s City Hall meeting.

Pupils who already receive free transport will not be affected. Under the previous policy pupils who lived more than two miles from their nearest faith school were entitled to free transport to and from school.

The trust runs Sacred Heart Catholic Primary in Ilkley, and St Mary’s, Menston. Mrs Hyde argues that ending free transport would lead to cash-strapped families having to send their children to schools closer to home, many of which are already over-subscribed.

As well as signing the petition of 335 names to the council Mrs Hyde will tell today’s meeting: “Hard working families would be forced to pay nearly £400 for each child, even those with siblings already at the school. There are serious unintended consequences – families won’t be able to pay and will be forced to take places in other local schools. In our area these are all already full.

“There won’t be enough places for local non-Catholic families, who will then have to be transported to the next nearest school at considerable cost to Bradford Council.

“The only way any meagre saving will be made is by forcing Catholic families to pay for transport.

“This is an attack on faith schools; by discriminating against one faith group you discriminate against all. Bradford has a proud reputation of multi-culturalism and being inclusive. As with other faiths in our city, we hope you show us some understanding and allow Catholic children to be treated the same as all others in Bradford.”

Councillor Ralph Berry, head of children’s services on the Council’s executive, said: “The implementation of some of these policies has to go through stages of consultation.

“Any cuts we have made have been with a heavy heart.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:31am Tue 25 Mar 14

Cooperlane2 says...

You should send your child to the nearest school, or expect to pay to send them further away.
You should send your child to the nearest school, or expect to pay to send them further away. Cooperlane2
  • Score: 42

6:32am Tue 25 Mar 14

Albion. says...

There should be no faith schools.
There should be no faith schools. Albion.
  • Score: 37

8:03am Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.
Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 40

8:05am Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

In fact, maybe Bradford education standards might improve if schools concentrated on teaching facts rather than fabricated sky fairystories.
In fact, maybe Bradford education standards might improve if schools concentrated on teaching facts rather than fabricated sky fairystories. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 26

8:36am Tue 25 Mar 14

yezboss says...

It matters not what type of school, if you choose to send your child to ANY school out of your area then you should expect to pay the cost of getting them there. It's your choice.
It matters not what type of school, if you choose to send your child to ANY school out of your area then you should expect to pay the cost of getting them there. It's your choice. yezboss
  • Score: 37

9:12am Tue 25 Mar 14

Cooperlane2 says...

We live in Bradford, but chose HLHS rather than BBEC.
We fully expect to pay for school transport.
There is an argument that this should be phased in for those already receiving free transport.

One big argument is that quite a few faith schools (like St Bede's) are now in very ethnic areas where the majority are now not catholic, or even christian.
The faith schools are now in the wrong local catchpot.
We live in Bradford, but chose HLHS rather than BBEC. We fully expect to pay for school transport. There is an argument that this should be phased in for those already receiving free transport. One big argument is that quite a few faith schools (like St Bede's) are now in very ethnic areas where the majority are now not catholic, or even christian. The faith schools are now in the wrong local catchpot. Cooperlane2
  • Score: 6

9:23am Tue 25 Mar 14

JohnnyDale says...

Perhaps Caroline Hyde could explain why parents who want to send their children to a distant school because of its affiliation with a particular cult deserve to be subsidised, but parents who choose a distant school based on real world criteria such as a specialism in art, sport, science, mathematics, drama or languages, or even just to get them away from the closest school if that happens to be a cult-affiliated one, should have to pay for their transport.

Let me give her a clue. "Because my imaginary friend says its OK" is not an acceptable answer.
Perhaps Caroline Hyde could explain why parents who want to send their children to a distant school because of its affiliation with a particular cult deserve to be subsidised, but parents who choose a distant school based on real world criteria such as a specialism in art, sport, science, mathematics, drama or languages, or even just to get them away from the closest school if that happens to be a cult-affiliated one, should have to pay for their transport. Let me give her a clue. "Because my imaginary friend says its OK" is not an acceptable answer. JohnnyDale
  • Score: 30

10:50am Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Cooperlane2 wrote:
We live in Bradford, but chose HLHS rather than BBEC.
We fully expect to pay for school transport.
There is an argument that this should be phased in for those already receiving free transport.

One big argument is that quite a few faith schools (like St Bede's) are now in very ethnic areas where the majority are now not catholic, or even christian.
The faith schools are now in the wrong local catchpot.
Exactly right.

If a school is no longer providing for the needs of the local area, then it should change. The best way to make schools inclusive is to remove all religious affiliation from them and treat all children the same. And religious indoctrination should not be done at school - if religion has to be taught, then equal balance should be given to all religions. It should be religious awareness not religious eduction.
[quote][p][bold]Cooperlane2[/bold] wrote: We live in Bradford, but chose HLHS rather than BBEC. We fully expect to pay for school transport. There is an argument that this should be phased in for those already receiving free transport. One big argument is that quite a few faith schools (like St Bede's) are now in very ethnic areas where the majority are now not catholic, or even christian. The faith schools are now in the wrong local catchpot.[/p][/quote]Exactly right. If a school is no longer providing for the needs of the local area, then it should change. The best way to make schools inclusive is to remove all religious affiliation from them and treat all children the same. And religious indoctrination should not be done at school - if religion has to be taught, then equal balance should be given to all religions. It should be religious awareness not religious eduction. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 27

11:47am Tue 25 Mar 14

Bantambhoy says...

Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?
Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that? Bantambhoy
  • Score: -16

12:29pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?
We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that!
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?[/p][/quote]We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that! Bone_idle18
  • Score: 17

1:17pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Albion. says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?
We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that!
Shouldn't that be "precious young lives"?
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?[/p][/quote]We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that![/p][/quote]Shouldn't that be "precious young lives"? Albion.
  • Score: 2

1:25pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Cooperlane2 says...

I have heard that asian areas like manningham do like the catholic girls schools, because it is single sex so their daughters wont mix with boys.
I have heard that asian areas like manningham do like the catholic girls schools, because it is single sex so their daughters wont mix with boys. Cooperlane2
  • Score: -1

2:10pm Tue 25 Mar 14

awasteoftime says...

There is no such thing as "free school transport" the rest of us are paying for it. If parents choose a school that is NOT local it is up to them to sort out the kids transport not the hard pressed tax payers. After all anyone without kids is already paying for these kids education etc.
No school should be restricted to any faith they should all be open to all. AS for the kids in Manningham send girls to the catholic school the parents need to get real and accept the world is not like that is it. It includes males and females who should be equal.
There is no such thing as "free school transport" the rest of us are paying for it. If parents choose a school that is NOT local it is up to them to sort out the kids transport not the hard pressed tax payers. After all anyone without kids is already paying for these kids education etc. No school should be restricted to any faith they should all be open to all. AS for the kids in Manningham send girls to the catholic school the parents need to get real and accept the world is not like that is it. It includes males and females who should be equal. awasteoftime
  • Score: 15

2:45pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Bantambhoy says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?
We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that!
A matter of opinion. Would you deny choice to others and impose your will/ideology on everyone else?
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?[/p][/quote]We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that![/p][/quote]A matter of opinion. Would you deny choice to others and impose your will/ideology on everyone else? Bantambhoy
  • Score: -6

2:54pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Kay1950 says...

If the nearest school was faith based and parents wanted a non-faith school which was further they had to pay. This was an unfair bias in favour of faith based education which, in my view is a contradiction in terms. Children should be taught about all faiths and humanism and given the tools to make their own decisions.
If the nearest school was faith based and parents wanted a non-faith school which was further they had to pay. This was an unfair bias in favour of faith based education which, in my view is a contradiction in terms. Children should be taught about all faiths and humanism and given the tools to make their own decisions. Kay1950
  • Score: 10

3:07pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?
We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that!
A matter of opinion. Would you deny choice to others and impose your will/ideology on everyone else?
the choice is there! Pay for transport to get to your faith school, or just go to the closest one.

Shouldn't be double standards at all.

BTW. What is the ratio of the co-funding? Does the diocese pay 50%? Or do they just make a small contribution (tax free of course, seeing as they're a religion)? If they're happy to co-fund the school, then surely they should be more than happy to ship in pupils at their own expense.
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: Catholic schools are co-funded by the local Catholic Diocese, remove the Catholic ethos and you will remove this co-funding, therefore increased cost for LEA's. Where's the saving in that?[/p][/quote]We're saving previous young lives from religious indoctrination. You can't put a price on that![/p][/quote]A matter of opinion. Would you deny choice to others and impose your will/ideology on everyone else?[/p][/quote]the choice is there! Pay for transport to get to your faith school, or just go to the closest one. Shouldn't be double standards at all. BTW. What is the ratio of the co-funding? Does the diocese pay 50%? Or do they just make a small contribution (tax free of course, seeing as they're a religion)? If they're happy to co-fund the school, then surely they should be more than happy to ship in pupils at their own expense. Bone_idle18
  • Score: 9

3:27pm Tue 25 Mar 14

cockadoodledo says...

Choose the local school or pay up, not the tax payers problem,sorry!
Choose the local school or pay up, not the tax payers problem,sorry! cockadoodledo
  • Score: 12

4:49pm Tue 25 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.
As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ?
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.[/p][/quote]As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ? The Hoffster
  • Score: -8

4:51pm Tue 25 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Cooperlane2 wrote:
I have heard that asian areas like manningham do like the catholic girls schools, because it is single sex so their daughters wont mix with boys.
Ah, the vile Islamophobe just couldn't resist, could he ?
[quote][p][bold]Cooperlane2[/bold] wrote: I have heard that asian areas like manningham do like the catholic girls schools, because it is single sex so their daughters wont mix with boys.[/p][/quote]Ah, the vile Islamophobe just couldn't resist, could he ? The Hoffster
  • Score: -4

5:11pm Tue 25 Mar 14

Bone_idle18 says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.
As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ?
since when is NOT drumming something into kids brainwashing?

It amazes me how defensive religious people get - their insecurity is alarming, but then, if they have to put all their faith into a sky fairy to get by in life, there's obviously some inherent weakness in their mentality!
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.[/p][/quote]As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ?[/p][/quote]since when is NOT drumming something into kids brainwashing? It amazes me how defensive religious people get - their insecurity is alarming, but then, if they have to put all their faith into a sky fairy to get by in life, there's obviously some inherent weakness in their mentality! Bone_idle18
  • Score: 8

6:22pm Tue 25 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.
As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ?
since when is NOT drumming something into kids brainwashing?

It amazes me how defensive religious people get - their insecurity is alarming, but then, if they have to put all their faith into a sky fairy to get by in life, there's obviously some inherent weakness in their mentality!
Be quiet, Marxist communist.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Agree, should be no faith schools. But as there are, and people want to send their kids for brainwashing, they should not be funded by my council tax.[/p][/quote]As opposed to brainwashing by the anti-religious secularists ?[/p][/quote]since when is NOT drumming something into kids brainwashing? It amazes me how defensive religious people get - their insecurity is alarming, but then, if they have to put all their faith into a sky fairy to get by in life, there's obviously some inherent weakness in their mentality![/p][/quote]Be quiet, Marxist communist. The Hoffster
  • Score: -5

2:25pm Wed 26 Mar 14

Godfrey Johnson says...

Kay1950 wrote:
If the nearest school was faith based and parents wanted a non-faith school which was further they had to pay. This was an unfair bias in favour of faith based education which, in my view is a contradiction in terms. Children should be taught about all faiths and humanism and given the tools to make their own decisions.
Kay, while I agree with much of what you say, I'd ask this:

Why should children be taught about "faiths"? Surely they have enough on their plates learning about the world (history and geography), acquiring skills, mastering the three Rs, and other such useful stuff.

Why burden a young, developing mind with crazy stuff about talking snakes, cosmic zombies who were their own fathers, and guys flying to heaven on winged horses?

Children will have plenty of opportunity to read up on all those things and more when they're old enough. And if they care to.

I pay my taxes so that schools can shape useful members of society. Bradford has enough woo to be getting on with, thanks.
[quote][p][bold]Kay1950[/bold] wrote: If the nearest school was faith based and parents wanted a non-faith school which was further they had to pay. This was an unfair bias in favour of faith based education which, in my view is a contradiction in terms. Children should be taught about all faiths and humanism and given the tools to make their own decisions.[/p][/quote]Kay, while I agree with much of what you say, I'd ask this: Why should children be taught about "faiths"? Surely they have enough on their plates learning about the world (history and geography), acquiring skills, mastering the three Rs, and other such useful stuff. Why burden a young, developing mind with crazy stuff about talking snakes, cosmic zombies who were their own fathers, and guys flying to heaven on winged horses? Children will have plenty of opportunity to read up on all those things and more when they're old enough. And if they care to. I pay my taxes so that schools can shape useful members of society. Bradford has enough woo to be getting on with, thanks. Godfrey Johnson
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree