Bradford Telegraph and ArgusMorrisons slumps to annual loss of £176m as sales fall (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email

Bradford supermarket group reports annual loss of £176m as sales fall

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Dalton Philips Dalton Philips

Bradford supermarket chain Morrisons slumped to an annual loss of £176 million today amid falling sales and one-off costs of £903m.

Britain's fourth-biggest supermarket fell into the red in the year to February 2 after a profit of £879m the year before.

The £903m charge included write-downs on the value of its stores and its 2011 acquisition of online children's wear retailer Kiddicare, which it now plans to sell in the wake of a poor financial performance.

Like-for-like sales at Morrisons were down 2.8 per cent for the year.

The grocer, which belatedly began rolling out an online operation earlier this year, also warned that the "challenging consumer and market environment" would persist into the current year.

Chief executive Dalton Philips said it was investing £1 billion over the next three years to improve value and "defend and strengthen our competitive position".

Comments (49)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:33am Thu 13 Mar 14

Whatthejuice says...

I stopped believing this was a Bradford company when they outsourced office jobs to India.
I stopped believing this was a Bradford company when they outsourced office jobs to India. Whatthejuice
  • Score: 34

8:38am Thu 13 Mar 14

sorrow&anger says...

Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery.
Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery. sorrow&anger
  • Score: 18

8:46am Thu 13 Mar 14

Truth77 says...

They can spend what they want but until they improve the customer expierience then people will go elsewhere, Stock is badly presented, lots of goods unpriced on untidy shelves, Staff that are poorly trained and not interested in customer service, The list goes on and on, Is there no one at Morrisons who understands retailing and that it is a skill?

Needs a change of attitude starting at the top, Get a retailer at heart there and the sales will follow
They can spend what they want but until they improve the customer expierience then people will go elsewhere, Stock is badly presented, lots of goods unpriced on untidy shelves, Staff that are poorly trained and not interested in customer service, The list goes on and on, Is there no one at Morrisons who understands retailing and that it is a skill? Needs a change of attitude starting at the top, Get a retailer at heart there and the sales will follow Truth77
  • Score: 18

8:51am Thu 13 Mar 14

BaildonGuy says...

This isn't a surprise. Morrisons used to be good and local. Then they got big ideas and fell flat on their face. It's all down to management incompetence. Shopping with them is never a pleasure. Bring back Sir Ken, he knew how to be a grocer.
This isn't a surprise. Morrisons used to be good and local. Then they got big ideas and fell flat on their face. It's all down to management incompetence. Shopping with them is never a pleasure. Bring back Sir Ken, he knew how to be a grocer. BaildonGuy
  • Score: 43

8:59am Thu 13 Mar 14

Grumpygirl says...

Morrisons don't know what they're doing. You get the impression they want to be a slightly cut price Waitrose. Waste of time. Coping with the unnecessary Tory austerity people need cheap food, not airs and graces. Sell the chain to Aldi and get off the high street.
Morrisons don't know what they're doing. You get the impression they want to be a slightly cut price Waitrose. Waste of time. Coping with the unnecessary Tory austerity people need cheap food, not airs and graces. Sell the chain to Aldi and get off the high street. Grumpygirl
  • Score: 8

9:07am Thu 13 Mar 14

schroeder says...

sorrow&anger wrote:
Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery.
Seriously? What a moronic thing to say. They have stores all across the country, and just because they were initially based in Bradford has nothing to do with their performance has it?
There's plenty of successful business operating in Bradford anyhoo.
[quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery.[/p][/quote]Seriously? What a moronic thing to say. They have stores all across the country, and just because they were initially based in Bradford has nothing to do with their performance has it? There's plenty of successful business operating in Bradford anyhoo. schroeder
  • Score: 24

9:07am Thu 13 Mar 14

schroeder says...

It's just too expensive. Quality wise Morrison’s own brand products are up there with Waitrose, but most customers prefer value over quality of food which is why Asda does so well.
It's just too expensive. Quality wise Morrison’s own brand products are up there with Waitrose, but most customers prefer value over quality of food which is why Asda does so well. schroeder
  • Score: 9

9:09am Thu 13 Mar 14

pcmanners says...

Morrisons deserted this City and the country and took jobs abroad when we most needed them. So they shouldn't be surprised that the country has deserted them. They'll be closed down in a couple of years and good riddance.
Morrisons deserted this City and the country and took jobs abroad when we most needed them. So they shouldn't be surprised that the country has deserted them. They'll be closed down in a couple of years and good riddance. pcmanners
  • Score: 20

9:11am Thu 13 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

Was in E5 yesterday checkout girls with no one to check through waiting for customers.
A year ago you had to queue it is obvious people have voted with their feet and shop at Tesco and Asda etc.
Morrisons need to get back to plain and simple pricing of price EACH too, get rid of buy 3 for £5, buy one get one free etc. etc.
Was in E5 yesterday checkout girls with no one to check through waiting for customers. A year ago you had to queue it is obvious people have voted with their feet and shop at Tesco and Asda etc. Morrisons need to get back to plain and simple pricing of price EACH too, get rid of buy 3 for £5, buy one get one free etc. etc. Joedavid
  • Score: 15

9:17am Thu 13 Mar 14

vax2002 says...

Trying to Scam customers in the car park with fake parking tickets was not the smartest idea.
They use two companies to do this, one is a ex wheel clamping firm with books of fake parking tickets demanding £100 a go.
The other uses Cameras that dish out tickets to anyone shopping more than 90 Minutes, which given they have a cafe in most stores is a madness, total madness
Can they possibly see what could go wrong here.
Every fake parking ticket they dish out is one customer less that will never be coming back.
Stop it boot the car park crooks out, apologise publicly and the customers might come back.
One supermarket chain has already booted the spy camera parking crooks out and seen profits turn around.
You can not scam your customers out of £100 with a fake parking ticket and expect them to come back next week.
Get rid of them or get ready to be flushed down the pan.
Trying to Scam customers in the car park with fake parking tickets was not the smartest idea. They use two companies to do this, one is a ex wheel clamping firm with books of fake parking tickets demanding £100 a go. The other uses Cameras that dish out tickets to anyone shopping more than 90 Minutes, which given they have a cafe in most stores is a madness, total madness Can they possibly see what could go wrong here. Every fake parking ticket they dish out is one customer less that will never be coming back. Stop it boot the car park crooks out, apologise publicly and the customers might come back. One supermarket chain has already booted the spy camera parking crooks out and seen profits turn around. You can not scam your customers out of £100 with a fake parking ticket and expect them to come back next week. Get rid of them or get ready to be flushed down the pan. vax2002
  • Score: 18

9:29am Thu 13 Mar 14

BertSanders says...

18.7bn - a lot of business. The properties are revalued. They will recover - or they will be the subject of a bid. Shares are off their low this morning.
I was hoping the shareholders would be as pessimistic as the posters1
18.7bn - a lot of business. The properties are revalued. They will recover - or they will be the subject of a bid. Shares are off their low this morning. I was hoping the shareholders would be as pessimistic as the posters1 BertSanders
  • Score: 3

9:36am Thu 13 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going?
I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either.
I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?
T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going? I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either. I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business? Joedavid
  • Score: 6

9:37am Thu 13 Mar 14

linebacker2 says...

schroeder wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery.
Seriously? What a moronic thing to say. They have stores all across the country, and just because they were initially based in Bradford has nothing to do with their performance has it?
There's plenty of successful business operating in Bradford anyhoo.
No point arguing with the doom mongers on here. They simply love it it Morrisons went bust, would give them the best gloat in years - pretty pathetic I know, but that's what some are like on here.
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Another commercial disaster for Bradford. There's something in the air that encourages failure. So much for the City of Producers. Morrisons aren't needed; they don't have the reach of TESCO, they're not as cheap as ASDA, don't have the quality of Sainsbury's, or discount like ALDI. There's no place for them on the high street, where's their USP? They're superfluous and should be put out of their misery.[/p][/quote]Seriously? What a moronic thing to say. They have stores all across the country, and just because they were initially based in Bradford has nothing to do with their performance has it? There's plenty of successful business operating in Bradford anyhoo.[/p][/quote]No point arguing with the doom mongers on here. They simply love it it Morrisons went bust, would give them the best gloat in years - pretty pathetic I know, but that's what some are like on here. linebacker2
  • Score: 12

9:53am Thu 13 Mar 14

BierleyBoy says...

Left behind by the other big retailers, and a disastrous diversification strategy. Never shopped at the Morrison's near me and never will.
Prefer sainsbury's at white rose as eccleshill is too far time wise
Left behind by the other big retailers, and a disastrous diversification strategy. Never shopped at the Morrison's near me and never will. Prefer sainsbury's at white rose as eccleshill is too far time wise BierleyBoy
  • Score: 0

10:12am Thu 13 Mar 14

Peter300 says...

As a company Morrisons have become complacent and they believe second best will suffice in the highly competitive retail market. They have allowed this to creep into their stores and they and their shareholders are now paying the price.
As a company Morrisons have become complacent and they believe second best will suffice in the highly competitive retail market. They have allowed this to creep into their stores and they and their shareholders are now paying the price. Peter300
  • Score: 9

10:26am Thu 13 Mar 14

Albion. says...

I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.
I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip. Albion.
  • Score: 7

11:17am Thu 13 Mar 14

bcfc1903 says...

I still shop at Morrisons but we also split the main weekly shop between them and Aldi, for me the prices went up when the company went public, massive mistakes were made by increasing food prices at a time of recession. There is no way in the world than Ken Morrison would have put at risk the Morrison core shoppers by doing that. The damage was done years ago but if they can compete with Aldi for price and quality then I've no doubt there fortunes will be rise once more. The quality at Morrisons is already in place.
I still shop at Morrisons but we also split the main weekly shop between them and Aldi, for me the prices went up when the company went public, massive mistakes were made by increasing food prices at a time of recession. There is no way in the world than Ken Morrison would have put at risk the Morrison core shoppers by doing that. The damage was done years ago but if they can compete with Aldi for price and quality then I've no doubt there fortunes will be rise once more. The quality at Morrisons is already in place. bcfc1903
  • Score: 10

11:51am Thu 13 Mar 14

999 number of the beast says...

They need to get rid of the cloth cap image and their management are slow. For example they say the future is local convenient stores. Near us a Co-op shuts down and who buys it, McCall. What a clanger!
If they want to tighten margins simple shut down underperforming shops such as the one in Girlington.
Also its time they decided to either return to Ken's ethos or the new Tesco clone instead of this Frankenstein hybrid they have at the moment.
They need to get rid of the cloth cap image and their management are slow. For example they say the future is local convenient stores. Near us a Co-op shuts down and who buys it, McCall. What a clanger! If they want to tighten margins simple shut down underperforming shops such as the one in Girlington. Also its time they decided to either return to Ken's ethos or the new Tesco clone instead of this Frankenstein hybrid they have at the moment. 999 number of the beast
  • Score: -2

11:57am Thu 13 Mar 14

cookie_brighton says...

Joedavid wrote:
T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going?
I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either.
I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?
you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going? I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either. I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?[/p][/quote]you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado. cookie_brighton
  • Score: 0

11:59am Thu 13 Mar 14

Andy2010 says...

Morrisons is just so overpriced nowadays. I don't mind paying extra for food as I usually shop at M&S or Waitrose once or twice a month but Morrisons was always more convenient. On comparing the prices at Waitrose to Morrisons I can assure you they arent much different give or take a few quid.

Then discovered Ocado who I can get better quality Waitrose products coupled with excellent value on the Ocado range. Shopping with Ocado albeit more expensive than Aldi and the like is cheaper than Tesco, Asda and Morrisons and you get a lot better products.
Morrisons is just so overpriced nowadays. I don't mind paying extra for food as I usually shop at M&S or Waitrose once or twice a month but Morrisons was always more convenient. On comparing the prices at Waitrose to Morrisons I can assure you they arent much different give or take a few quid. Then discovered Ocado who I can get better quality Waitrose products coupled with excellent value on the Ocado range. Shopping with Ocado albeit more expensive than Aldi and the like is cheaper than Tesco, Asda and Morrisons and you get a lot better products. Andy2010
  • Score: 4

11:59am Thu 13 Mar 14

cookie_brighton says...

Morrisons have just opened their second store near me.....yipppeeee....
...but yet we do not have the online service.....
Morrisons have just opened their second store near me.....yipppeeee.... ...but yet we do not have the online service..... cookie_brighton
  • Score: 6

12:00pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Andy2010 says...

cookie_brighton wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going?
I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either.
I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?
you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.
No they arent. Ocado just supply the online platform and distribution. The vans of which I have seen many of are Morrisons vans
[quote][p][bold]cookie_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going? I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either. I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?[/p][/quote]you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.[/p][/quote]No they arent. Ocado just supply the online platform and distribution. The vans of which I have seen many of are Morrisons vans Andy2010
  • Score: 9

12:06pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

cookie_brighton wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going?
I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either.
I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?
you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.
Yes was aware Ocado picking in their own location and delivering but would have thought would use vans pained yellow and Morrisons markins as the Morrisons adverts.
Have seen one Ocado van but assumed it was delivering Ocado goods to an on-line Ocada customers.
[quote][p][bold]cookie_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going? I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either. I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?[/p][/quote]you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.[/p][/quote]Yes was aware Ocado picking in their own location and delivering but would have thought would use vans pained yellow and Morrisons markins as the Morrisons adverts. Have seen one Ocado van but assumed it was delivering Ocado goods to an on-line Ocada customers. Joedavid
  • Score: 2

12:07pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Andy2010 says...

Joedavid wrote:
cookie_brighton wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going?
I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either.
I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?
you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.
Yes was aware Ocado picking in their own location and delivering but would have thought would use vans pained yellow and Morrisons markins as the Morrisons adverts.
Have seen one Ocado van but assumed it was delivering Ocado goods to an on-line Ocada customers.
They do use yellow Morrisons vans...seen loads of them in the past month
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]cookie_brighton[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: T&A can you report how the Morrisons on line and home delivery is going? I ask because I've not seen any Morrisons delivery vans on the road at all and no one else I know as either. I note that Tesco Canal road enlarged their delivery and collect operation greatly recently are Tesco getting all the on-line business?[/p][/quote]you will not see any Morrisons delivery vans........their deliveries are carried out by Ocado.[/p][/quote]Yes was aware Ocado picking in their own location and delivering but would have thought would use vans pained yellow and Morrisons markins as the Morrisons adverts. Have seen one Ocado van but assumed it was delivering Ocado goods to an on-line Ocada customers.[/p][/quote]They do use yellow Morrisons vans...seen loads of them in the past month Andy2010
  • Score: 8

1:11pm Thu 13 Mar 14

ade_splat says...

They now start to reap their lack of investment in technology......
They now start to reap their lack of investment in technology...... ade_splat
  • Score: 6

2:36pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Baildon girl says...

Some comments are a bit harsh, ive always prefered morrisons when i lived in Baildon would always try use the Guisley and Enterprise 5 stores rather than Asda, i moved Odsal 3 years ago and was very dissapointed with the Mayo Avenue store was using it more because of the convinience the dates on fresh fruit, veg and meats were for either that same day or next day so was struggling to do the weekly shop there and having to do a second shop through the week.
However this last couple months ive noticed a massive improvement think since the refurb work was carried out, its more organised and the dates seem to be rotated better and items are of better quality. Our food bill has also reduced by around £10.00 per week recently aswell due to the offers they have lately on market street so in all pretty pleased, although not so happy about the new check outs felt slightly clostraphobic (sp?) not very spacious at all and im only small the desks are too high struggled with packing my bags sure ill get used to it
Some comments are a bit harsh, ive always prefered morrisons when i lived in Baildon would always try use the Guisley and Enterprise 5 stores rather than Asda, i moved Odsal 3 years ago and was very dissapointed with the Mayo Avenue store was using it more because of the convinience the dates on fresh fruit, veg and meats were for either that same day or next day so was struggling to do the weekly shop there and having to do a second shop through the week. However this last couple months ive noticed a massive improvement think since the refurb work was carried out, its more organised and the dates seem to be rotated better and items are of better quality. Our food bill has also reduced by around £10.00 per week recently aswell due to the offers they have lately on market street so in all pretty pleased, although not so happy about the new check outs felt slightly clostraphobic (sp?) not very spacious at all and im only small the desks are too high struggled with packing my bags sure ill get used to it Baildon girl
  • Score: 2

2:55pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Oldwestbowling says...

FGS listen to all the moaners on here....don't like the offers....don't deliver in their own vans....staff are useless.......checko
uts too high....dates on fruit & veg & meat too near the date (dates on fruit & veg...seriously, can't you use your common sense)......I've never had a problem with staff, service, produce or the size of the sodding checkouts at Morrisons. .
FGS listen to all the moaners on here....don't like the offers....don't deliver in their own vans....staff are useless.......checko uts too high....dates on fruit & veg & meat too near the date (dates on fruit & veg...seriously, can't you use your common sense)......I've never had a problem with staff, service, produce or the size of the sodding checkouts at Morrisons. . Oldwestbowling
  • Score: -2

4:45pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Avro says...

Banks are reportedly working on debt financing packages of around £5 billion to back a potential sale of Bradford-based supermarket chain Morrisons to private equity funds in a move backed by some of the founding family.

According to a news agency report, cash-rich private equity firms are keen to do new buyouts after low levels of merger and acquisition activity in 2013, but the large scale of a Morrisons deal could mean several firms would need to work together, banking sources say.

Continued speculation about a possible deal saw Morrisons shares soar by 11.4p to 244p.

According to one banking source, talks have been going on for more than a month to see whether taking Morrisons private would be possible, although Morrisons' shareholders and retail analysts are doubtful that it will happen.

Sir Ken Morrison, the supermarket group’s retired chief executive and now life president, was reportedly surprised by news of the potential move.
Banks are reportedly working on debt financing packages of around £5 billion to back a potential sale of Bradford-based supermarket chain Morrisons to private equity funds in a move backed by some of the founding family. According to a news agency report, cash-rich private equity firms are keen to do new buyouts after low levels of merger and acquisition activity in 2013, but the large scale of a Morrisons deal could mean several firms would need to work together, banking sources say. Continued speculation about a possible deal saw Morrisons shares soar by 11.4p to 244p. According to one banking source, talks have been going on for more than a month to see whether taking Morrisons private would be possible, although Morrisons' shareholders and retail analysts are doubtful that it will happen. Sir Ken Morrison, the supermarket group’s retired chief executive and now life president, was reportedly surprised by news of the potential move. Avro
  • Score: 0

4:53pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Avro says...

Piling it high and selling it cheap may not be easy as Morrisons hope. If the their sales don’t rise to compensate for lower margins, its share price fall will be permanent.
Piling it high and selling it cheap may not be easy as Morrisons hope. If the their sales don’t rise to compensate for lower margins, its share price fall will be permanent. Avro
  • Score: 4

4:55pm Thu 13 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

pity they couldn't add £5m to their losses by buying out The Bulls
pity they couldn't add £5m to their losses by buying out The Bulls alive and awake
  • Score: 2

4:58pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Avro says...

BaildonGuy wrote:
This isn't a surprise. Morrisons used to be good and local. Then they got big ideas and fell flat on their face. It's all down to management incompetence. Shopping with them is never a pleasure. Bring back Sir Ken, he knew how to be a grocer.
Ken is now beef farming and 84, his days at Morri's long since over.
[quote][p][bold]BaildonGuy[/bold] wrote: This isn't a surprise. Morrisons used to be good and local. Then they got big ideas and fell flat on their face. It's all down to management incompetence. Shopping with them is never a pleasure. Bring back Sir Ken, he knew how to be a grocer.[/p][/quote]Ken is now beef farming and 84, his days at Morri's long since over. Avro
  • Score: 7

5:45pm Thu 13 Mar 14

MontyLeMar says...

Albion. wrote:
I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.
Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.[/p][/quote]Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 2

6:16pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Albion. says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.
Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.
With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.[/p][/quote]Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.[/p][/quote]With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list. Albion.
  • Score: 5

7:25pm Thu 13 Mar 14

MontyLeMar says...

Albion. wrote:
MontyLeMar wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.
Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.
With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list.
It's also going to be interesting to see what the other retailers do. Asda will probably match Morrisons almost immediately. Sainsbury and Tesco are going to be dithering and could lose market share. Billions was wiped off the sector today because the City is expecting a blood bath. The big winner could be Joe Public. But one thing's for sure, Aldi and Lidl are not going away and I know people who have vowed never to go back to the big chains. All very interesting.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.[/p][/quote]Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.[/p][/quote]With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list.[/p][/quote]It's also going to be interesting to see what the other retailers do. Asda will probably match Morrisons almost immediately. Sainsbury and Tesco are going to be dithering and could lose market share. Billions was wiped off the sector today because the City is expecting a blood bath. The big winner could be Joe Public. But one thing's for sure, Aldi and Lidl are not going away and I know people who have vowed never to go back to the big chains. All very interesting. MontyLeMar
  • Score: 7

7:53pm Thu 13 Mar 14

June Oh says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
Albion. wrote:
MontyLeMar wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.
Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.
With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list.
It's also going to be interesting to see what the other retailers do. Asda will probably match Morrisons almost immediately. Sainsbury and Tesco are going to be dithering and could lose market share. Billions was wiped off the sector today because the City is expecting a blood bath. The big winner could be Joe Public. But one thing's for sure, Aldi and Lidl are not going away and I know people who have vowed never to go back to the big chains. All very interesting.
Are Morrisons and its leader going the same direction as the Co-op and its leader?
To me the Big three will do battle with Morrisons and they will make sure they remain the Big three.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I'm surprised by the comments here, it's rare that I can get to a Morrisons but I always seem to find it OK to shop there. Lets not forget that they have made some massive profits in recent years. I think this years figures are just a blip.[/p][/quote]Yes they have made some massive profits off the back of loyal customers who used to be well paid. Now most of these customers are struggling with rising costs and when they see the prices in Aldi they feel they have been ripped off all this time. I'm afraid this government's austerity policy is going to drive more and more people away from the likes of Morrisons and into the arms of Aldi and Lidl. I doubt that what we are seeing is just a blip.[/p][/quote]With Morrisons about to introduce £1B price cuts and their online shopping just starting up, it will be interesting to see how things go. I quite like Aldi but I find that they don't carry the range of the big four and do they allow Credit cards yet? I tend to go there more to see what there is than complete a shopping list.[/p][/quote]It's also going to be interesting to see what the other retailers do. Asda will probably match Morrisons almost immediately. Sainsbury and Tesco are going to be dithering and could lose market share. Billions was wiped off the sector today because the City is expecting a blood bath. The big winner could be Joe Public. But one thing's for sure, Aldi and Lidl are not going away and I know people who have vowed never to go back to the big chains. All very interesting.[/p][/quote]Are Morrisons and its leader going the same direction as the Co-op and its leader? To me the Big three will do battle with Morrisons and they will make sure they remain the Big three. June Oh
  • Score: 3

8:02pm Thu 13 Mar 14

knox615 says...

Morrisons have lost their way. For the last twenty years I have shopped almost exclusively there, but now I rarely do. Their prices are high (often veg is twice the price of Aldi), they have too many multibuy offers, which are no good for a single-person household like me, and they're constantly running out of things. Sure they have lovely displays of water-sprayed herbs, but go round the corner and they've no bags of potatoes or 2 pint cartons of milk. You go to Lidl and Aldi, and if the queues at the tills get too long, even a manager will jump on, but not at Morrisons where the management just seem to stand around trying to find someone else to do it. And on top of this, its annoying that they must spend a fortune on those star-studded, tediously long adverts.Fortunately, Aldi have just opened up a new store near me in Bramley, so it means I can shop there all the time now, the quality is great, and my spend is always far less than for the same products at Morrisons.
Morrisons blame the previous lack of an online service, and the lack of smaller stores, but they need to talk to their (ex) customers and get the basics right.
Morrisons have lost their way. For the last twenty years I have shopped almost exclusively there, but now I rarely do. Their prices are high (often veg is twice the price of Aldi), they have too many multibuy offers, which are no good for a single-person household like me, and they're constantly running out of things. Sure they have lovely displays of water-sprayed herbs, but go round the corner and they've no bags of potatoes or 2 pint cartons of milk. You go to Lidl and Aldi, and if the queues at the tills get too long, even a manager will jump on, but not at Morrisons where the management just seem to stand around trying to find someone else to do it. And on top of this, its annoying that they must spend a fortune on those star-studded, tediously long adverts.Fortunately, Aldi have just opened up a new store near me in Bramley, so it means I can shop there all the time now, the quality is great, and my spend is always far less than for the same products at Morrisons. Morrisons blame the previous lack of an online service, and the lack of smaller stores, but they need to talk to their (ex) customers and get the basics right. knox615
  • Score: 5

8:13pm Thu 13 Mar 14

lazybeat says...

they were slow on the mark to moving towards home deliveries and selling clothes. on the positive the seafood and bakery ailes are one of the best comparing to the rest of the supermarkets
they were slow on the mark to moving towards home deliveries and selling clothes. on the positive the seafood and bakery ailes are one of the best comparing to the rest of the supermarkets lazybeat
  • Score: 1

8:14pm Thu 13 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

Whatthejuice wrote:
I stopped believing this was a Bradford company when they outsourced office jobs to India.
Kens been beef farming for 30 years.
[quote][p][bold]Whatthejuice[/bold] wrote: I stopped believing this was a Bradford company when they outsourced office jobs to India.[/p][/quote]Kens been beef farming for 30 years. alive and awake
  • Score: 3

8:16pm Thu 13 Mar 14

lazybeat says...

they were slow off the mark for introducing home deliveries and selling products beyond home produce (i.e clothing). On the positive the bakery and seafood ailes are among the best in comparison to other markets.
they were slow off the mark for introducing home deliveries and selling products beyond home produce (i.e clothing). On the positive the bakery and seafood ailes are among the best in comparison to other markets. lazybeat
  • Score: 5

8:28pm Thu 13 Mar 14

June Oh says...

Morrisons increase the price each of an item then put some fancy offer on so if you buy you end up with 2, 3 or more of the item if you daft enough to fall for their stupid pricing systems.
EG. 4 pints of milk £1.39 each OR 3 (12 pints) for £3, I go to another supermarket and get 1 or 2 I require at £1 each.
Morrisons increase the price each of an item then put some fancy offer on so if you buy you end up with 2, 3 or more of the item if you daft enough to fall for their stupid pricing systems. EG. 4 pints of milk £1.39 each OR 3 (12 pints) for £3, I go to another supermarket and get 1 or 2 I require at £1 each. June Oh
  • Score: 1

8:30pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

June Oh wrote:
Morrisons increase the price each of an item then put some fancy offer on so if you buy you end up with 2, 3 or more of the item if you daft enough to fall for their stupid pricing systems.
EG. 4 pints of milk £1.39 each OR 3 (12 pints) for £3, I go to another supermarket and get 1 or 2 I require at £1 each.
Good Post.
[quote][p][bold]June Oh[/bold] wrote: Morrisons increase the price each of an item then put some fancy offer on so if you buy you end up with 2, 3 or more of the item if you daft enough to fall for their stupid pricing systems. EG. 4 pints of milk £1.39 each OR 3 (12 pints) for £3, I go to another supermarket and get 1 or 2 I require at £1 each.[/p][/quote]Good Post. Joedavid
  • Score: 1

9:53pm Thu 13 Mar 14

eldwick person says...

Morrisons will be back to profit and bradford should be proud to have their head office here. They are a major local employer and a firm I always support where possible. The super market business in the uk is super competitive and the comments by some of the uniformed doom mongers above are so far from the mark they made me laugh.
Morrisons will be back to profit and bradford should be proud to have their head office here. They are a major local employer and a firm I always support where possible. The super market business in the uk is super competitive and the comments by some of the uniformed doom mongers above are so far from the mark they made me laugh. eldwick person
  • Score: 2

10:31pm Thu 13 Mar 14

Stevie-C says...

schroeder wrote:
It's just too expensive. Quality wise Morrison’s own brand products are up there with Waitrose, but most customers prefer value over quality of food which is why Asda does so well.
Quality and morrisons in the same sentence - are you mad! Have you ever bought fruit from there? Its going off before you get home!!

Please don't think I am looking down my nose at folk, but the place is full of tramps and undesirables

Along with this reason, we stopped shopping there about 3 years ago simply because of poor quality, expensive food, and no reward scheme, which is something other supermarkets offer in one way or another
[quote][p][bold]schroeder[/bold] wrote: It's just too expensive. Quality wise Morrison’s own brand products are up there with Waitrose, but most customers prefer value over quality of food which is why Asda does so well.[/p][/quote]Quality and morrisons in the same sentence - are you mad! Have you ever bought fruit from there? Its going off before you get home!! Please don't think I am looking down my nose at folk, but the place is full of tramps and undesirables Along with this reason, we stopped shopping there about 3 years ago simply because of poor quality, expensive food, and no reward scheme, which is something other supermarkets offer in one way or another Stevie-C
  • Score: 1

8:03am Fri 14 Mar 14

collos25 says...

eldwick person wrote:
Morrisons will be back to profit and bradford should be proud to have their head office here. They are a major local employer and a firm I always support where possible. The super market business in the uk is super competitive and the comments by some of the uniformed doom mongers above are so far from the mark they made me laugh.
The people are not ill informed or doom mongers they have deserted all of the big chain supermarkets and gone to Aldi and Lidl because of price and quality may I suggest you have money to burn unlike most people.
[quote][p][bold]eldwick person[/bold] wrote: Morrisons will be back to profit and bradford should be proud to have their head office here. They are a major local employer and a firm I always support where possible. The super market business in the uk is super competitive and the comments by some of the uniformed doom mongers above are so far from the mark they made me laugh.[/p][/quote]The people are not ill informed or doom mongers they have deserted all of the big chain supermarkets and gone to Aldi and Lidl because of price and quality may I suggest you have money to burn unlike most people. collos25
  • Score: -1

11:26am Fri 14 Mar 14

collos25 says...

Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing?
Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing? collos25
  • Score: -3

12:09pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

collos25 wrote:
Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing?
It is on Sky News.
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing?[/p][/quote]It is on Sky News. Joedavid
  • Score: 1

12:09pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Joedavid says...

collos25 wrote:
Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing?
It is on Sky News.
[quote][p][bold]collos25[/bold] wrote: Another story from Morrisons is that they have lost to an outside source all the wage and bank details for nearly all its employees, could this be something to do with outsourcing?[/p][/quote]It is on Sky News. Joedavid
  • Score: 1

9:43pm Fri 14 Mar 14

Brannigan says...

I have shopped almost exclusively at Morrisons for over 20 years but recently I have started to spread my custom elsewhere. Pricewise Morrisons can hold their own against their competetitors but recently their customer service has fallen dramatically. Shortages of staff particularly at kiosks, cafe and tills make for long waiting times. Some staff are not interested in customers and only want to chat with their colleagues.
If Morrisons are going to play out with the big boys of Tesco and Asda they need to shape up.
I have shopped almost exclusively at Morrisons for over 20 years but recently I have started to spread my custom elsewhere. Pricewise Morrisons can hold their own against their competetitors but recently their customer service has fallen dramatically. Shortages of staff particularly at kiosks, cafe and tills make for long waiting times. Some staff are not interested in customers and only want to chat with their colleagues. If Morrisons are going to play out with the big boys of Tesco and Asda they need to shape up. Brannigan
  • Score: 3

7:08am Sat 15 Mar 14

collos25 says...

Especially at Enterprise 5 the staff walk round in a daze with the customer somebody who gets in their way.They ran out of poached eggs in the café apparently they are pre made from an outside source and they do not have time to actually poach real eggs and the increase in price of a pot of tea is mouth watering all they are interested in is making money and have absolutely no interest how they get it no wonder people have found other alternatives.Their spokesperson seems awfully sure no customer data has gone missing I think I would check your bank account just in case he is wrong or does not want to admit the truth.
Especially at Enterprise 5 the staff walk round in a daze with the customer somebody who gets in their way.They ran out of poached eggs in the café apparently they are pre made from an outside source and they do not have time to actually poach real eggs and the increase in price of a pot of tea is mouth watering all they are interested in is making money and have absolutely no interest how they get it no wonder people have found other alternatives.Their spokesperson seems awfully sure no customer data has gone missing I think I would check your bank account just in case he is wrong or does not want to admit the truth. collos25
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree