Detectives were today waiting to speak to a critically-injured mum who is suspected of murdering her two-year-old daughter.

The toddler was killed when she plunged from an upstairs window at a terraced house in Delamere Street, Marshfields, Bradford.

Her 36-year-old mother is understood to have fallen from the window shortly afterwards, leaving her fighting for life in hospital.

Last night, police would not disclose precise details of the woman’s injuries or whether she was still unconscious but officers have confirmed she has been arrested on suspicion of murdering her child.

Yesterday, shocked neighbours told how a window cleaner had gone round the back of the house and discovered the woman and her daughter lying on the ground at 9.15am on Tuesday.

His shouts for help were heard by a man living close by who rushed to help.

One of his family said the granddad had tried to ask the mother what had happened but could get no answer.

Fozia Kouser, 21, whose home is opposite the scene of the tragedy, said: “He was banging on our door asking us what our postcode was. He said he had to get it for the police.

“We were watching it all from the upstairs window. There were two ambulances. We saw a paramedic bring the child out to the ambulance in his arms.

“They must have got the mother next but when we got downstairs they had gone with their lights flashing, by the end of the street they had put their sirens on.”

Another resident, who did not want to be named, said she too saw the distressed window cleaner led to a marked police car to give a statement.

Last night the dead girl’s father was thought to be travelling from outside West Yorkshire to identify her.

Neighbours believe he lives in the south of England where the woman and child were said to have moved from about two months ago.

The injured woman, believed to follow the Sikh faith, was unconscious when emergency services got to the scene.

Police announced yesterday that the child died from injuries consistent with a fall and her mother had been arrested on suspicion of her murder.

Detective Chief Inspector Jon Morgan, who is leading the investigation, said: “We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident, but are appealing for anyone with information to contact the police on 101, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Yesterday, a solitary police officer was standing guard at the front the house. Damage to the front door was clearly visible where officers had been seen by neighbours using a ram to break in.

Blue and white police tape was tied to the tidy garden fence where a growing number of bouquets of flowers had been laid in sympathy.

A poignant message on one of the cards read: “RIP Little One. Heaven has gained an angel”.

At the back of the red brick house, a white forensic tent was set against the back wall below the upper window which was closed and blinds drawn, although a light could be seen through a small bathroom window.

Forensic officers in white suits could be seen moving in and around the back of the property.

Next door neighbour, Danielle Hirst, 21, who has three children including one the same age as the tragic tot, said the mother had seemed “a nice woman”.

She added: “People on the street often heard the little one crying in the house.

“Maybe there were problems – it can be difficult but you would hope someone like social services would be able to help if things were that bad.

“Who knows what problems some people have? I've got a little one around the same age so this has really got to me.”

Resident, Yasmin Akhtar, said: “We are shocked that this has happened to the little girl and we are sad for the mother.”

Another resident, Nazia Hussain, said: “I am upset for the child. The mother was always very quiet. She seems nice but never really spoke to anyone. We’ve never known anything as horrid as this to happen in our street before. No-one seems to know much about the mother, where she came from or what’s happened that morning. It’s a close community here and unusual in this street for people not to know everyone but no one even knows her name.”

Another woman, who lives nearby but did not want to be named, said: “It will all come out in the end. No-one round here really knows the whole truth yet. It’s terribly sad.”