Police investigating the death of a man in Bradford last night charged a woman with murder.

The 41-year-old man, named locally as Scott Dunne, died at a block of flats in Allerton after reports of a “disturbance” in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Late last night Alexia Heckles, 35, was charged with murder and is due to appear at Bradford Magistrates Court this morning.

Police said in a statement last night they had charged Heckles with murder in connection with the death of a 41-year-old man at an address on Rosemary Gardens in the Allerton area of Bradford.

Heckles’ address was also given as Rosemary Gardens.

Earlier shocked neighbours praised the courage of a 19-year-old man who raced in to the flat to try and save the man as he lay dying on the carpet.

Throughout yesterday, forensic teams could be seen carrying out their investigations, which focussed on No 15 Rosemary Gardens, a small modern block of flats in Saffron Drive.

Several bunches of flowers had been placed nearby in tribute to the man, whose body was removed from the flat at 3.30pm on Saturday.

Detective Chief Inspector Jon Morgan of Protective Services Crime gave details of the incident.

“We were called at 12.30am on Saturday to a property in Rosemary Gardens, Allerton, following a report of disturbance at the address.

“A 41-year-old man was found with serious injuries and died at the scene.

“A 35-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and remains in custody,” DCI Morgan said.

Shocked neighbours told how they ran from their homes after they heard screams. And they said one teenager had dashed into the flat and took the pulse of the fatally injured man.

“It was so brave to go in there not knowing who or what he’d find,” said a family friend.

“He tried to help the man, but he couldn’t find any pulse,” one said.

Residents of Rosemary Gardens praised the emergency services for arriving very swiftly.

“The police arrived instantly, just one officer in a car at first then there were vans and dozens of them here within minutes.

“They spoke to a woman who was put in the back of a police car and driven away. Three ambulances turned up and paramedics went into the flat, but came out after a few minutes.

“Instead they put all the scenes of crime tape around the flat, which told us that sadly he wasn’t going to be coming out.

“The man’s body wasn’t taken away until 3.30pm,” said a woman.

Another neighbour said: “He was a nice enough bloke who’d say hello to you at the gate or in the street.”