Police yesterday raided a flat and a mobile phone shop as part of an investigation into a shooting which left a man seriously injured.

As detectives quizzed five men on suspicion of conspiracy to commit attempted murder, officers seized items from the flat and shop premises, only yards from the scene of the shooting in Little Horton Lane.

The victim was gunned down on Saturday evening as he and two friends refurbished premises he planned to open as a mobile phone shop.

A lone masked gunman fired a number of shots from the doorway, hitting the 42-year-old victim three times. He suffered a serious chest wound and minor injuries to his leg and hand.

Last night he remained in a stable condition under police guard at an undisclosed hospital after undergoing surgery.

Detective Chief Inspector Adrian Taylor, leading the investigation, said the victim was recovering from the surgery and was conscious. Officers are hoping to obtain a full account from him in due course.

Five men, all from the Bradford area and aged 24, 27, 32, 40 and 41, were arrested early yesterday on suspicion of conspiracy to commit attempted murder and remained in custody last night.

They are also being held on suspicion of conspiracy to commit arson with intent to endanger life, following a fire at the shop premises on December 21.

The shooting happened at about 7.45pm on Saturday.

Yesterday, police raided another mobile phone shop, yards away in Little Horton Lane.

Uniformed and plain-clothed officers were at the shop, Rainbow Phones. Two vans and a dog unit were outside and customers were being turned away.

Police inside were seen to be searching the premises and taking stock off shelves.

Det Chief Insp Taylor said the shop and the flat were being searched as part of the investigation into the shooting conspiracy, along with a number of other addresses across the city.

Local residents suggested a family business feud was behind the shooting.

One man said: “It’s all about mobile phones. The victim had got a business partner and was going to open a phone shop. Someone had set fire to the shop and he was repairing it. It’s shocking.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.