Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Bradford brothers on terrorism camp charges to face retrial
Updated 10:38am Wednesday 8th January 2014 in News
Two brothers from Bradford accused of plotting to leave England for a terrorist training camp will face a re-trial after jurors failed to reach a verdict.
The seven women and five men on the jury in the case of Muhammed Saeed Ahmed and Muhammed Naeem Ahmed were discharged yesterday, having sat in on the case since it began at the Old Bailey in London at the end of November.
Jurors spent seven days deliberating, but failed to agree on a majority verdict.
The brothers, aged 21 and 20, of Little Horton, denied a charge of conspiring together and with others to attend a place used for terrorist training.
The full address of the Ahmed brothers cannot be disclosed for legal reasons Jonathan Sandiford, prosecuting, had previously told the court that the pair had been observed by police and security services on “effectively training trips” in Snowdonia and the Brecon Beacons aimed at preparing themselves for stays in the Yemen and Afghanistan.
Items found during a search of the brothers’ bedrooms in 2012 included a GPS device, night vision goggles, high quality LED torches and sleeping bags for use in very cold conditions despite the climate in Bangladesh being very hot and humid, he said.
Other items included high grade military clothing and a copy of an SAS survival handbook, he said.
But the Ahmeds’ father said his sons were merely preparing to go on a holiday.
He told the court they were due to travel to Bangladesh the following day for a family visit.
The case has been listed for re-trial on September 8 at the Old Bailey.